The best pumpkin recipe of all time! Pumpkin with a sweetened cream cheese layer, topped with crunchy streusel.
I made these pumpkin cream cheese muffins for the first time several years ago, and they were so delicious I made them again a couple weeks later. My mom tried one, and made a batch as well, since they are just that good!
I took this batch to our local MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) meeting, and several moms asked for the recipe, so I figured I would just share it here.
These pumpkin cream cheese muffins are a bit more time intensive than regular muffins, since there is the pumpkin base to make, the streusel to make, and the cream cheese layer to make. And then assembling the 3 layers. However, they are so worth it, as they are by far the best pumpkin muffin recipe I’ve ever had!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 15 oz can pumpkin or 2 C. Pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup oil you can substitute apple sauce- I've done it with great results
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 C flour
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 C chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 24 muffin tins, or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the middle and add in the eggs, pumpkin, oil (or applesauce), and vanilla. Stir until no lumps remain. Divide batter among muffin cups (each muffin cup should be about 1/2 full).
- Beat cream cheese layer ingredients together until smooth. Divide over the pumpkin layer (about 1 Tbsp.) per muffin.
- Combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or forks. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Sprinkle mixture over the top of the muffins, and use the back of a spoon to pat it down.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
I doubled the recipe, since I was taking them to MOPS and wanted to make sure we had plenty extra. And yet they are still disappearing at an alarming rate!
What is your favorite kind of muffin?