Mexican Chicken Soup recipe is from scratch, but so easy and quick.
Once upon a time, I used to meal plan. Do you meal plan? I enjoy life better when I do, but I’ve gotten into a rut of not meal planning. Most nights I’m flying by the seat of my pants, trying to figure out what we can eat for dinner that doesn’t take long to make.
This recipe utilizes already cooked chicken. I used rotisserie chicken, but any chicken will do. Cube it, or shred it, you can really make it however you’d like.
I based this recipe off of this slow cooker version. However, since I was in a hurry, I didn’t have time to use the slow cooker. I also didn’t have some of the ingredients, so I’ve changed things up a little and made it kid friendly for my little people.
Lucy and Kerry are both on the keto diet. Lucy started before Christmas, and Kerry just started this month. Because of this, they’re both talking keto a lot, and I’m usually part of the conversation (though not exactly participating).
Due to having so much keto talk going on around me, I realized this Mexican Chicken Soup was a keto friendly recipe. Kerry tried making it already, since my pictures made her hungry, and she agreed that it’s delicious.
If you aren’t on the keto diet, you can serve this soup with chips, but it’s actually a pretty filling soup as it is.
Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you away from this recipe! Mexican Chicken Soup really comes together so quickly, you’ll be amazed!
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth, (one can)
- 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes, **
- 4 oz. diced green chiles
- 2 cups cooked chicken, (leftover rotisserie works great!)
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper, and saute until onion is translucent (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add spices. Stir and cook spices for about 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and chiles. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and heat until cream cheese has melted.
** If you want a spicier soup, use Rotel tomatoes in place of the diced tomatoes
- Calphalon Classic Nonstick Dutch Oven with Cover, 7 quart, Grey
- OXO Good Grips Nylon Ladle
- KitchenAid KN300OSPMA Gourmet Stainless Steel Box Grater, Pomegranate
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Total Fat: 30g Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 2g Protein: 29g
What is your favorite soup recipe?
Here are some of our reader favorites!
Don’t forget to pin!