Scalloped Ham and Potatoes is an easy hearty meal. The recipe is a vintage recipe from The Good Housekeeping Cookbook from 1949.
I am back to making a Vintage Recipe. I have been wanting to get back this series for a while but things have been so hectic around here.
Little Thing has kept me so busy. She is nearly walking and keeping me on my toes. I haven’t been able to get everything done that I would like to. But she is far more important that all those things.
This recipe comes from the Good Housekeeping Cookbook with a copyright date of 1949. I was a little leery of it, but it was marked as a good one. I really thought we would be going to McDonalds because this wouldn’t be good. But it was delicious! It got high praise from The Hardworking Husband.
As a side note: As much as I would like to eat healthy, sometimes it just doesn’t happen. This recipe calls for a can of cream of mushroom soup. Normally, I would make my own, but with a Christmas party for Dear Friend’s work, needing to pick up something for a food drive, and other errands, we were lucky to be eating a homemade meal.
So I used a can of cream of mushroom soup with all of it preservatives and terrible things for us. If you prefer not to use the canned stuff, there are several very good recipes for homemade cream of soup on the internet.
- 1 lb cooked ham, rough chopped in bite size pieces
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large skillet, brown ham. Add butter.
- Add flour once butter has melted. Stir to combine.
- Add cream of mushroom soup and milk. Stir to combine.
- In a 2 quart casserole dish, layer half of the potatoes, carrots and onions.
- Pour half the ham & soup mixture over the vegetables.
- Layer the rest of the vegetables and pour the rest of the ham & soup mixture over the vegetables.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 382 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 85mg Sodium: 1795mg Carbohydrates: 34g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 31g
Don’t forget to pin!