Slow Cooker BBQ Whole Chicken has the delicious flavor of BBQ, and you can easily make it year round without having to go outside in the winter.
I love cooking whole chickens in my crock pot. Love it! I know it’s probably crazy to love it so much. But I love how it takes little effort, produces great results, and I get free chicken stock out of it as well! I mean seriously that’s awesome!
So when I found whole chickens on sale, I knew it was time to whip out the slow cooker for an easy dinner. We really like my garlic lemon whole chicken and my Cajun whole chicken, but I was looking to switch it up a little bit this time.
BBQ chicken sounded really good to me but I was afraid that would mess up my chicken stock and thought it would all end up in the bottom of the crock pot instead of flavoring the chicken. So I decided to add the BBQ sauce at the end and I love how it turned out!! I used Kc Masterpiece (affiliate link) because it is one of my favorites but use whatever you like best.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 onion, chopped in large pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce, more or less to taste
- 1 -2 Tablespoons season salt, depending on size of chicken
- 1 - 2 cup BBQ Sauce
- Discard neck & chicken giblets and pat chicken dry with paper towel.
- Place 2/3 of onion in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Pour Worcestershire sauce all over chicken and sprinkle with season salt, rubbing them both into chicken.
- Lifting up skin over breast and rubbing sauce and season salt under there as well and in the cavity.
- Place the remaining onion in the cavity and place chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 4-6 hours, depending on the size of your chicken. Juices should run clear and meat thermometer should read 180 degrees.
- When chicken is done remove from crock pot and warm BBQ sauce in microwave safe bowl for about 1 minute.
- Brush chicken with BBQ sauce. Place remaining BBQ sauce on table when serving for those who want more.
A meat thermometer is the best way to tell if this chicken is done as it will be juicier if you do not overcook it and you don't risk undercooking it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 2402mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 24g
The nutritional information provided here is not guaranteed to be accurate and is provided for informational (and google) purposes only.
When I went to make the homemade stock, I put all bones back in the crock pot, but left out the skin that was covered in BBQ sauce. The stock turned out just like normal. For all the directions, on how to make chicken stock with the leftovers, check out my Homemade Chicken Stock tutorial.
What’s your favorite way to cook whole chicken?
Looking for more crockpot recipes?
Why not join us on Pinterest: Coffee With Us 3 or hangout with us on Facebook:
Check out our link parties.
Don’t forget to pin!