This soda bread recipe is made with 4 ingredients. It takes just 45 minutes to have hot bread on your table, perfect for weeknight dinners!
What is special about soda bread?
Soda bread is much different from a regular yeast bread. It doesn’t require any time to rise, so it’s really fast. Plus it is made using just 4 ingredients, making it incredibly simple.
If you’re looking for a recipe for soda bread without buttermilk, this is the recipe for you.
This soda bread made with yogurt takes only a few minutes to mix together, and then bakes for just 40 minutes, making it such an easy bread to make!
Why is it called Soda Bread?
This bread got its name due to the fact that it uses baking soda to rise the bread, instead of yeast.
On its own, it isn’t extremely flavorful. That isn’t to say it has a bad taste, it just doesn’t have a strong flavor. To make it more flavorful, you can add a handful of dried fruit or nuts (or both), or add some cheese or bacon. It’s so versatile! But I wanted to share this easy soda bread recipe with you first as just plain old 4 ingredient soda bread, since it’s by far the fastest and easiest bread I’ve ever made.
We have enjoyed our soda bread with just butter slathered on, but we also enjoy it with some homemade jam. It’s absolutely delicious with Cherberry Jam, Apple Pie Jam, Blue Raspberry Jam, or Meyer Lemon Jelly!
- 4 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Plain Yogurt
- Heat oven to 425º. Grease a cake pan and set aside.
- Stir together flour, soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir yogurt into the flour mixture by the 1/2 cup until dough sticks together and forms a ball shape (you may not need the entire 2 cups, or you may need a bit more-- it will depend on how you measured your flour).
- Knead several times on a floured surface, then roll into a ball.
- Place into greased cake pan, and press down lightly to make it a bit flatter.
- Make a cut in the top of the dough, about 1/2" deep. You can make a single slice across the top, or make an X shape.
- Cover the pan with a sheet of foil tented (to give room for the bread to rise), or turn another cake pan upside down over it.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Best served hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 391mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
Do you make your own bread? What’s your favorite recipe? Try these other delicious bread recipes!
Don’t forget to pin!