Just 4 ingredients and 45 minutes to have warm, homemade soda bread on your table!
Several years ago I met Michelle. Michelle is kind, a great listener, and funny. She’s also Irish (and now living back in Ireland).
While Michelle was still living here in Idaho, another friend of ours was having health problems and having to avoid a variety of foods. One of the foods she was having the hardest time finding a recipe for that would avoid her many food sensitivities was bread. Michelle suggested she try soda bread, since it has only 4 ingredients!
I was intrigued, so I decided to try making soda bread as well. It takes just a few minutes to mix together, and then bakes for just 40 minutes, making it such an easy bread to make!
On its own, it isn’t extremely flavorful. That isn’t to say it has a bad taste, it just doesn’t have a strong flavor. To make it more flavorful, you can add a handful of dried fruit or nuts (or both), or add some cheese or bacon. It’s so versatile! But I wanted to share this soda bread recipe with you first as just plain old 4 ingredient soda bread, since it’s by far the fastest and easiest bread I’ve ever made.
We ate our bread with Cherberry Jam that I made with Lucy and Kerry, and it was fabulous!
- 4 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Plain Yogurt
- Heat oven to 425º. Grease a cake pan and set aside.
- Stir together flour, soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir yogurt into the flour mixture by the 1/2 cup until dough sticks together and forms a ball shape (you may not need the entire 2 cups, or you may need a bit more-- it will depend on how you measured your flour).
- Knead several times on a floured surface, then roll into a ball.
- Place into greased cake pan, and press down lightly to make it a bit flatter.
- Make a cut in the top of the dough, about 1/2" deep. You can make a single slice across the top, or make an X shape.
- Cover the pan with a sheet of foil tented (to give room for the bread to rise), or turn another cake pan upside down over it.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Best served hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 391mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
Do you make your own bread? What’s your favorite recipe? Try these other delicious bread recipes!
Don’t forget to pin!