Spiced Apple Cider is a perfect warm beverage for the Christmas season or the chill of winter. Also with a slow cooker variation and canning directions.
We had an overabundance of apples this year. Between my 3 apples trees and my sister’s 2 trees, we had SO MANY APPLES. We decided to make a bunch of apple cider with all those apples. My kids loved it and we drank a whole bunch of it before we starting canning it.
We had canned a whole bunch of it, when we decided to try making spiced apple cider. And we loved it even more than the regular! It’s absolutely delicious warm and it’s even great cool. So now we’ve started canning the spiced variety.
I’m including slow cooker directions since I learned that’s a great way to make it for a party or gathering and I’m also including canning directions, in case you want to make a bunch and save it for all winter long.
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cloves whole
- 1 orange, cut into slices
- 1/2 tsp butter, only for canning
- Place all ingredients in a large pot and cook over medium heat about 5-10 minutes until warm. Strain & serve.
- Crockpot Directions: Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours. Serve directly out of the crockpot, if desired.
- Canning Directions: Boil jars & prepare lids & rings for canning. Place all ingredients in large pot and bring just to a boil. Remove from heat. Strain out cinnamon stick and orange slices.
Pour cider into prepared jars. Wipe the rim of the jars with damp cloth and add lid and ring. Twisting ring as tight as possible. If any do not seal after an hour, place them in the fridge and use right away.
This will make a lot, so it's perfect for parties & canning, but you may want to halve the recipe if you are making it for a small group.