Split Pea Soup in the Instant Pot is a delicious hearty soup. Making it in the instant pot means you can easier it much sooner. Quick & easy is perfect for a cold winter day.
When I was a little girl (less than 6 years old), my mom and I flew to California to visit family. We all went to a restaurant that I only know as the Big Yellow House. The first course was Split Pea Soup. I loved it so much that I didn’t eat any other courses. I just ate bowl after bowl. Since then I have loved Split Pea Soup.
I came across a recipe a few years ago that was the best Split Pea Soup that I had ever had. But it took all day to make. Usually when I want split pea soup, I want it immediately. But the canned stuff just doesn’t cut it. I set out to figure out how to make it in the instant pot. It didn’t take long to master it.
This soup is thick. If you like it a little thinner, you can just add more water. Also this soup is very hearty. It has ham in it. If you’d like it to be vegetarian, only a few changes need to be made.
Need more soup ideas?
- 1 lb dried split peas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minutes
- 6 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarian)
- 1 lb ham, cubed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Rinse split peas and make sure there are no rocks. Set aside.
- Turn Instant Pot on saute.
- Add olive oil, carrots, and onions. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock (or vegetable stock).
- Stir to get anything that has stuck to the bottom loose.
- Add ham, seasonings, and split peas.
- Turn Instant Pot to high pressure manual for 18 minutes.
- Allow to natural release for 15 minutes. Then quick release.
- Stir to thicken soup.
This soup is thick. If you would like it thinner, add another cup of chicken stock.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 1481mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 30g
The nutritional information provided here is not guaranteed to be accurate and is provided for informational (and google) purposes only.
Don’t forget to pin!
Linking up at Weekend Potluck.