Stew Meat Beef Stroganoff in the Slow Cooker is a great way to use stew meat without heating up your house. It has amazing flavor and the meat is wonderfully tender.
Did you see my recipe post a couple weeks ago for Instant Pot Stew Meat Beef Stroganoff and think “that’s all fine and dandy, but I don’t have an instant pot”? Well I have the solution for you. Stew Meat Beef Stroganoff in the Slow Cooker.
As I have experimented with converting recipes from oven or stovetop to instant pot and slow cooker, I have discovered that things cooked in the oven or on the stovetop need a lot more liquid than in the instant pot or slow cooker. And the slow cooker needs even less than the instant pot.
I was surprised the slow cooker needs even less than the instant pot. My first attempt in the slow cooker produced a LOT of gravy. The second attempt was much better.
The oven version of this recipe uses 4 cups of beef stock, the instant pot version uses 2 cups, and the slow cooker version is 1 cup. Keep this is mind when you are converting other recipes. Don’t make the same mistake I did.
This recipe is done a little different than the instant pot and oven recipe because it is difficult to sear the meat in the slow cooker. However, it is just as delicious. Don’t worry. This recipe is full of flavor!
The Hardworking Husband raved about this version. It was his favorite. We had this over noodles the first night and then over baked potatoes the next night. You could serve it over rice as well.
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp water
- 1 lb egg noodles
- In a 6 quart slow cooker crock add beef stew meat, mushrooms, beef stock, salt, onion, and garlic. Stir ingredients together.
- Place lid on and cook for 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high or until the meat is tender. The meat will be more tender if you cook it on low.
- Once meat is tender, in a large pot, bring to boil water to cook egg noodles. Once water is boiling add egg noodles and cook until tender. Drain and set aside until you are ready to serve.
- Once meat is cooked and tender, add sour cream and stir until combined.
- Mix cornstarch with water until cornstarch is dissolved. Mix cornstarch in. Turn slow cooker on high. Gravy should thicken. You can add more cornstarch and water slurry as needed to thicken.
- Serve with meat & gravy mixture over noodles.
Don’t forget to pin!