Stew Meat Beef Stroganoff is a great way to use stew meat. It is flavorful vintage recipe.
The Hardworking Husband and I went in with Jamie and bought half a cow last winter. While we have used a lot of it, we still have some cuts that I haven’t used much of. One of those is stew meat.
The Hardworking Husband doesn’t like eating a lot of soup. So I needed to find other ways to use my stew meat. I did a little digging and found a vintage recipe for Stew Meat Beef Stroganoff.
This recipe needed a little tweaking, but it turned out great even with the mushrooms in it. I hate mushrooms.
And generally I don’t like cream of mushroom soup. But I really liked this. I did pick out the mushrooms though. It’s a texture thing…
If you’re avoiding cream of mushroom soup, due to the MSG, we’ve got a recipe to make your own!
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lb egg noodles
- Preheat oven to 325. In a dutch oven over medium heat on stove top, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour and salt. Add stew meat to bowl and coat with flour mixture. Add meat to dutch oven. Brown pieces. Flour may stick to the pan. It is alright, we will fix that in a few minutes. Once pieces are browned, remove from pan.
- Add remaining oil and onion to pan. Cook until tender. Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add beef stock. As the stock heats, scrape any stuck on particles on the bottom. Add mushrooms and meat to pan. Cover and place in oven. Cook for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a large pot, bring to boil water to cook egg noodles. Once water is boiling add egg noodles and cook until tender.
- Remove dutch oven from oven. Add sour cream and stir to combine.
- Serve with meat & gravy mixture over noodles.
Don’t forget to pin!