Stew Meat Beef Stroganoff is a great way to use stew meat that isn’t stew. It is a flavorful vintage recipe with very tender meat.
The Hardworking Husband and I went in with Jamie and bought half a cow last winter. While we have used a lot of it, we still have some cuts that I haven’t used much of. One of those is stew meat.
The Hardworking Husband doesn’t like eating a lot of soup. So I needed to find other ways to use my stew meat. I did a little digging and found a vintage recipe for Stew Meat Beef Stroganoff.
This recipe needed a little tweaking, but it turned out great even with the mushrooms in it. I hate mushrooms.
And generally I don’t like cream of mushroom soup. But I really liked this. I did pick out the mushrooms though. It’s a texture thing…
If you’re avoiding cream of mushroom soup, due to the MSG, we’ve got a recipe to make your own!
Do you like me need more stew meat recipes? I’ve got you covered.
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lb egg noodles
- Preheat oven to 325. In a dutch oven over medium heat on stove top, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour and salt.
- Add stew meat to bowl and coat with flour mixture.
- Add meat to dutch oven. Brown pieces. Flour may stick to the pan. It is alright, we will fix that in a few minutes.
- Once pieces are browned, remove from pan.
- Add remaining oil and onion to pan. Cook until tender. Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add beef stock. As the stock heats, scrape any stuck on particles on the bottom.
- Add mushrooms and meat to pan.
- Cover and place in oven. Cook for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a large pot, bring to boil water to cook egg noodles. Once water is boiling add egg noodles and cook until tender.
- Remove dutch oven from oven. Add sour cream and stir to combine.
- Serve with meat & gravy mixture over noodles.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 620Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 194mgSodium: 1599mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 59g
The nutritional information provided here is not guaranteed to be accurate and is provided for informational (and google) purposes only.
Don’t forget to pin!