Stew Meat Chili is a great meal on a cold day. It is hearty like a stew but in a chili. Using the instant pot makes this pretty quick dinner.
Stew meat is one of those meats that needs to be cooked a while to get it tender enough to eat. However, pressure cooking does that for us quickly. Aren’t we all thankful pressure cooking has become so easy.
How do you make stew meat tender?
Cooking stew meat low and slow like in a slow cooker will tenderize stew meat. You can also cook it in a dutch oven in the oven. My favorite way is to cook it in the instant pot. It is much faster.
If you are wanting this amazing chili but you don’t have an instant pot. You can make it with ground beef and you will find that recipe as The Hardworking Husband’s Chili.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 - 12 oz lager beer
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced, more if you like it spicy
- 2 1/2 tsp adobo sauce, more if you like it spicy
- 1 - 15 oz can diced tomato
- 1 - 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch cayenne
- 1 - 27 oz can Bush's Pinto Chili Beans in Mild Sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- Turn instant pot on saute. Brown sausage and ground beef with diced onion.
- Once meat is browned add garlic, stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add beer.
- Place lid on and pressure cook on high for 18 minutes.
- Slow release for 30 minutes. Then release pressure.
- Add chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and season pack. Stir to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine.
- Cover and allow to simmer on medium heat for 10-30 minutes.
- Serve with grated cheese, sour cream and/or sliced green pepper.
You can use the seasoning pack from the Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit in place of the seasonings. You won't need the masa or the cayenne packets.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 591Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 1342mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 13gSugar: 16gProtein: 41g
The nutritional information provided here is not guaranteed to be accurate and is provided for informational (and google) purposes only.
Don’t forget to pin!