Strawberry Brownie Trifle– delicious and decadent layers of brownie, chocolate mousse and strawberries!
My mom made this fabulous Strawberry Brownie Trifle to celebrate my dad’s birthday! And she’s kind enough to let me share the recipe with you all. Trust me, you’re going to want to try this– it’s so delicious!
My dad loves to try new desserts for his birthday. It seems like every year he comes up with a fun idea for my mom to try and make. And they always turn out great, since my mom is a great cook.
This Strawberry Brownie Trifle has a layer of brownies, delicious chocolate mousse, and strawberries. I think I’ve mentioned before how much I love strawberries, but if you’ve forgotten (or you’re new) I’ll leave some links for more strawberry goodness after the recipe.
- 1 box brownie mix, (prepare using ingredients listed on box)
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 Cup sugar
- ½ Cup butter,, cut up (1 stick)
- 8 oz Unsweetened chocolate,, chopped (I used Hershey's)
- 2 ½ Cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Cups fresh strawberries,, cut into fourths
- Land o Lakes aerosol Whipped Cream
- Chocolate curls or cocoa powder,, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350°. Prepare and bake brownie mix according to package directions. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; invert directly onto rack; cool completely. *(I cooled in pan—didn't invert onto rack--and then cut into cubes while in pan.)
- While brownie cools, in a large metal bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar, ½ cup water and butter. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water. (I used a small pan instead of a metal bowl. If you have a “double boiler”, that would be better.) Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is pale and thickened and registers 160° on an instant-read thermometer, about 7 minutes. Remove bowl (or small pan) from saucepan and whisk in chocolate until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat 2 cups of the cream with ¼ cup sugar and vanilla until medium-firm peaks form. Fold whipped cream into hot chocolate mixture until no white remains. Cover surface directly with plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour. (I poured this mixture into a cake pan to speed the cooling process.)
- Once the brownie has cooled*, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes. Begin layering trifle: Spoon half the brownie cubes into a 4-quart glass bowl or dish. Compress slightly. Spread half the chocolate mousse over brownie cubes. Top mousse with half the strawberries and spray whipped cream to cover. Repeat the layering and garnish with chocolate curls or cocoa powder. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to overnight until serving. If you have extra mousse, add a little to each serving.
Adapted from Family Circle’s Chocolate Raspberry Trifle.
Need an idea to use up the leftover egg whites? Try Kerry’s Angel Food Cake recipe!
And here are a few of my favorite strawberry recipes- just click the picture to go to the recipe:
Don’t forget to pin!