As I have mentioned, we have an overabundance of pie cherries here at my mom’s house. Her hedges were/are covered in cherries. I swear we keep picking and picking and they are still covered.
We have made a couple cherry pies, juiced a ton of cherries for jelly, and frozen a lot of cherries for pies, and other baked goods later. I asked on our Facebook page for ideas on what to make with the cherries and plan on making a bunch of those ideas as the weather gets cooler.
But I really wanted to make these muffins even if it’s a bit warm to be baking!! Mom had heard from a friend that cherries & strawberries mixed together make wonderful jam. So we put some in the food processor and chopped it all up for jam and froze it, to deal with later. But that combination sounded like in would be awesome as a muffin too. So I just had to try it!!
And I’m so glad I did!! These little Strawberry Cherry Muffins or Cherberry Muffins, as I like to call them are absolutely delicious!! I ate two within the first fifteen minutes they were out of the oven. Soooo good.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped strawberries, fresh or thawed frozen
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare (by greasing muffin cups or putting paper liners in) 24 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a second bowl, melt butter in microwave (approximately 30-60 seconds, stirring every 15-20 seconds). Into the butter, beat eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir butter mixture into the dry ingredients until it is just moistened. Then fold in the strawberries and cherries.
- Pour into prepared muffin cups. Bake 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
I used Jamie’s Fresh Strawberry Muffin Recipe as a base for this recipe, so if you have just strawberries on hand, check out that recipe as it is delicious too!
Looking for more amazing muffins?
What fruit are you enjoying this summer? And what are you making with it?
Why not join us on Pinterest: Coffee With Us 3 or hangout with us on Facebook:
Check out our link parties.
Linking up to Weekend Potluck and