Sweet, delicious but easy to make Strawberry Upside-Down Cake from scratch.
Strawberries are coming! I’m starting to see them in stores. And any time I see strawberries, I have to come up with more strawberry recipes! This time I wanted to make a Strawberry Upside-Down Cake.
I figured I would just adapt the standard pineapple upside-down cake, but substitute strawberries. However, I decided to run a search for strawberry upside-down cake on Pinterest first. I was mostly let down by the results, since it was a lot of cake mixes, jello, soda pop, and just not the way I like to make desserts. But I did find one gem!
Joy the Baker has amazing recipes. I trust her recipes to always turn out delicious, and this one was no different! I skipped the cardamom, since I didn’t have any on hand, and it still turned out delicious. Kerry says that it will taste even better with the cardamom, but I loved it so much that I made it a second time and still left out the cardamom!
If you follow us on Instagram, you’ll know that the reason I had to make a second strawberry upside-down cake is because I dropped the first one all over the stove. It was really sad, but I still ate it! And it still tasted amazing!
For Strawberry Layer
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
For the Cake
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 cup butter,, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Put 2 Tbsp. butter in a round, and place in the oven until it melts. Using a hot pad, tilt pan to coat bottom and sides with butter. Set aside until after cake batter is made.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cardamom (if you using it).
- In a Kitchenaid or similar mixer, cream butter and brown sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes, scraping occasionally. Add egg and vanilla and beat another minute.
- Add dry ingredients and turn mixer on low. Then add in sour cream, and mix until just combined.
- Sprinkle the cake pan with the reserved 1/4 cup brown sugar. Place strawberry slices over the brown sugar, covering the entire bottom.
- Spoon the batter over the strawberries, and spread out until it covers evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes. Then place a large plate or platter over the cake pan, and using potholders, flip the entire thing over, so the cake comes out of the pan onto the plate upside-down.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 309mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 4g
The nutritional information provided here is not guaranteed to be accurate and is provided for informational (and google) purposes only.
Don’t forget to pin!