In just 20 minutes, you can have Sweet and Sour Meatballs on the table! This is a delicious and fun weeknight dinner recipe!
My mom used to make sweet and sour meatballs when I was a kid. I didn’t realize they weren’t something other people ate until I made them the first time in my married life. Dan looked at me like I was crazy, but that soon turned to happiness once he tasted them.
The sweet and sour sauce pairs so well with the meatballs and plain rice. And my favorite thing about this recipe is that it can be made really quickly.
I put the rice on to cook, and I’ll use frozen meatballs (I prefer to make and freeze them myself, but any frozen meatball will work). I can have the sauce ready with plenty of time to warm the meatballs in the sauce by the time the rice is finished.
Using frozen meatballs, this recipe is about a 20 minute recipe. If you want to make meatballs from scratch, that will obviously add to your cook time. However, I’m a huge proponent for making dinners easier, so if you need to make meatballs from scratch, why not double or triple the recipe and throw the extra meatballs into a freezer bag for an easy meal down the road?
- 1 1/2 cups rice,, cook according to package directions
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 16 oz. can pineapple
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped red, orange, or yellow bell pepper
- 1 lb. frozen meatballs, (see post for link to make your own)
- Prepare rice according to the instructions on the package. While rice is cooking, prepare sweet and sour sauce as follows.
- In a saucepan, stir together cornstarch and brown sugar until no clumps remain.
- Drain pineapple juice into the brown sugar mixture, then set aside the drained pineapple.
- Stir the vinegar and soy sauce into the brown sugar mixture.
- Turn heat on to medium. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil.
- Boil while stirring constantly for one minute.
- Lower heat. Stir in meatballs.
- Once meatballs are heated through, stir in peppers and pineapple.
- Serve over the rice.
What’s your favorite quick and easy dinner recipe that’s perfect for the busy weeknights? Comment below, since I’m always looking for more ideas!
Don’t forget to pin!