Sweet Potato Waffles are a great twist on plain ole waffles. They have great flavor with the nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground cloves.
I was first introduced to Sweet Potato Waffles by the Granola Girl before she was granola. I didn’t think I would like them because I didn’t like sweet potatoes. But I wanted to be nice and eat what I was served. I ended up loving them. I asked her how she made them and she had used a mix. I started buying the mix. But after moving out of Texas, I’ve had a hard time finding it except on Amazon. I ran out of the last bag of mix that I had and happened upon a recipe for them.
So I decided to make it myself. And since I have never read the list of ingredients on the mix, there might be preservatives in it. Homemade is always better, right? 🙂 The homemade version was much better tasting anyway.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, oil,and vanilla.
- Combine the two bowls and mix until combined. Mix in the sweet potato. Mix to combine but don't over mix.
- Heat waffle iron. Pour 1/4 - 1/2 cup batter on iron and cook according to your waffle iron's directions.
- Top with butter, syrup, powdered sugar or your favorite waffle topping. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 329mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or yams.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes.
- Add potatoes to medium sauce pan and add enough water to cover the potatoes by about an inch.
- Boil until potatoes are tender.
- Drain. Puree the potatoes in a food processor.
- You can freeze what you do not need. You will need 1/2 cup for the sweet potato waffles.
Don’t forget to pin!