This Tamale Pie recipe is a vintage, tasty, recipe that is not the prettiest food you’ve ever eaten.
The other night for dinner I wanted something different. Lots of times I want a recipe that uses ground beef, but not one that has rice or pasta in it. And sometimes those recipes are hard to come by. I was searching high and low because I just didn’t want to make tacos again. I came across a vintage recipe (which by the way I love vintage recipes) for tamale pie.
I cooked up this recipe wondering if it was going to be good. It was different than any tamale pie I had seen before. The recipe had come with no picture. And I found that this tamale pie was the ugliest tamale pie you ever did see. I was fully expecting to have to run to the nearest drive through after the first bite of dinner. I was pleasantly surprised that the ugliest tamale pie you ever did see was actually really good. The Hardworking Husband even went back for seconds. It’s a recipe I’m going to have to throw in the mix of recipes we eat again and again.
This recipe uses the diced tomatoes that I showed you how to can earlier this week.
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, 1 pint jar
- 1 15 oz can cream corn
- 1 2.5 oz can sliced olives, (do not drain)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili pepper, less or more to taste
- 1 cup corn meal
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a casserole dish with oil and set aside.
- Brown ground beef with diced onion in a large skillet Add garlic cook for 30 second.
- Add tomatoes, cream corn, and olives. Do not drain any of the cans. Cook for a couple minutes. Add seasonings, cook for a couple more minutes.
- Fold in corn meal.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Slowly add 1/2 cup of meat mixture to eggs while stiring constantly to bring eggs up to temperature so you don't scramble them. Add egg mixture back to pan. Mix together thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes.
- If using cheese, sprinkle over top before baking.
- Pyrex Easy Grab 9.5" Glass Pie Plate, 2 Pack
- Wsthof WU4183 4188-7 Wusthof Classic Hollow Edge Santoku Knife 7, Black
- Ritz Royale Collection 100% Cotton Terry Cloth Mitz, Dual-Function Pot Holder/Oven Mitt Set
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t forget to pin!