Chicken Cobbler is a twist on Chicken Pot Pie. It has the great filling of chicken pot pie combined with warm fluffy biscuits. Such a great comfort food.
I went into making Chicken Cobbler thinking about The Hardworking Husband. He has said in the past that he doesn’t like chicken pot pie with biscuits on top. And basically that’s what this is. But he loved it. Well, for it being chicken. The only chicken he really likes is fried. And I don’t like for us to only eat fried food. So he is forced to eat chicken that hasn’t been fried.
I really liked the Chicken Cobbler. The biscuit topping has cheese in it, and it was yummy. I might add some garlic powder next time to get that cheese garlic biscuit flavor. And I liked that it was easier than making pie crust. Because you don’t have to par bake the crust, it’s a little faster to make than chicken pot pie. And lately, I need less time consuming meals. Little Thing is teething, crawling, pulling up and busy, busy, busy. She is keeping me busy along with a part time job.
One way I save time is cooking a whole chicken before hand. One chicken usually gives me enough meat for 2 meals. This will also give you chicken stock to use in this recipe. I place a whole chicken with giblets removed in a large pot. Fill with water to cover the chicken. Add 2 large carrots peeled and quartered, 2 celery stocks washed and quartered, and a large onion, peeled and quartered. Add 1 Tbsp thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high, and simmer for an hour and a half. Remove chicken from pot and allow to cool. Strain removing stock and refrigerate until you are ready. Once chicken is cooled, remove skin and discard it. Cut chicken off the bones. Refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2/3 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups homemade bisquick mix
- 2/3 cups parmesan, shredded
- 2/3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease a 9"x13" pan. Set aside.
- In a dutch oven, melt butter.
- Add celery, carrots and onions. Cook until vegetables are tender. 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in peas. Sprinkle flour evenly over the top of the vegetables. Stir in. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, stir constantly and cook until thickened.
- Add heavy cream and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, thyme, and salt & pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into 9"x13" pan.
- In a separate bowl combine bisquick mix, cheeses, and milk. Stir just enough to combine. Drop on top of mixture in pan. Bake for 18-23 minutes or until biscuit topping is golden brown.
Recipe for Homemade Bisquick Mix.