Get dinner on the table in 30 minutes with these 6-ingredient Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas!
This recipe is a family favorite. My kids get excited whenever I make it.
When I originally made this recipe, I was wanting a creamy enchilada casserole, but all the recipes I kept finding had cream of chicken soup in them. I try to avoid “cream of” soups, due to the high amount of sodium, along with the MSG, so I needed to figure out something else.
Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas are delicious, with a great flavor. They’re mild, which is perfect for our little ones, since they don’t like too much spice. However, if you want to kick up the heat, feel free to replace the green chiles with diced jalapenos instead.
The best part about this casserole is that it is really quick and easy- if you have leftover chicken, this can be ready in less than 30 minutes! You’ll just need 6 ingredients to pull together this casserole, so it’s a great option for busy nights!
This recipe is a great use for leftover rotisserie chicken, or leftover chicken of any kind. Even if you chicken was cooked with some spices, it will probably be great!
I’m all about easy dinners, since it seems like when I’m cooking dinner is when all 3 of my kids decide to fall apart. So I love dinners that keep the “come aparts” to a minimum, and these creamy green chile chicken enchiladas are definitely such a recipe!
In fact, if your kids are 6 or so, they can help layer this dish. If they’re good with scissors, let them have a pair of kitchen sheers to help cut up the tortillas, since it doesn’t matter if they’re perfectly cut.
If they aren’t great with scissors, you can try a fabulous knife like this one. I have one for each of my little ones. It’s made of polypropelene (which is basically just plastic), and it cuts surprisingly well, but you don’t have to worry about fingers getting cut off. It’s awesome!
- 2 cups green enchilada sauce
- 2-3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 4 oz green chiles
- 2 cups sour cream, (or plain yogurt)
- 6-8 flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat enchilada sauce, chicken, green chiles and sour cream until bubbly.
- In the meantime, cut tortillas in half, and then into strips.
- Spread 1/2 a cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Spread half of the tortilla strips over the sauce.
- Spread with 1 1/2 cups of the sauce.
- Spread the other half of the tortilla strips.
- Top with remaining sauce, and then the cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes until heated through and sauce is bubbly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 549Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 136mgSodium: 709mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 33g
What is your favorite Mexican recipe?
If you’re looking for more fabulous Mexican and Tex-Mex recipes like these Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, check out our roundup of The Best Cinco de Mayo Recipes!
Don’t forget to pin!