Creamy and delicious Tortellini Soup made in your slow cooker.
I decided to try a new recipe today. And it’s been raining and raining and raining here, so I wanted soup! I found this amazing recipe for Slow Cooker Tortellini Spinach Soup from 365 Days of Slow Cooking.
Seriously, this creamy tortellini soup recipe was way too good to not share with you all! In fact, my husband pretty much hates soup, and even he had seconds– it’s that good!
I did make a few minor adjustments. First off, I didn’t make this tortellini soup with chicken. This was mostly due to the fact that I had just made a chicken and pasta recipe that had basil and tomatoes and a creamy sauce several days earlier, and I didn’t want it to seem like exactly the same recipe.
I used fresh tortellini from Costco, which I feel has such a better flavor than frozen. I also left out the spinach because… apparently I got distracted in the store and forgot to buy the spinach!
This made quite a lot of soup. We all ate and I had a lot left over. Yum!
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans chicken broth, or 4 cups
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, (14.5 oz. each)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups tortellini
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan
- 1 cup heavy cream, microwave for 30 seconds so it doesn't curdle when added
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, stir together onion, garlic, basil, tomato paste, flour and olive oil. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring once every minute. This will make a thick paste (the thickener for the soup).
- While that's microwaving, dump the contents of the cans of chicken broth and tomatoes into a 5 quart crockpot. Add salt and pepper. Once the tomato paste mixture is finished, stir it into the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours. (Or on high for 3-4 hours)
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Turn the heat up to high, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the tortellini is cooked.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 1152mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 12g
The nutritional information provided here is not guaranteed to be accurate and is provided for informational (and google) purposes only.
What is your favorite recipe for the crockpot?
Looking for more amazing soup recipes?