Foil Packet Chocolate Cherry Cake is a delicious dessert that can be made in a campfire, on a grill, or in the oven.
I grew up camping. We went camping often every summer, and it has always been an experience I’ve cherished.
There’s something so memorable about time spent around a campfire with family and friends. We do a lot of camping in the mountains, and I love how cold it gets in the evening. Warming up by the campfire is the perfect beginning and end to each day.
Foil Packet Chocolate Cherry Cake is a fun dessert that is really easy to make camping. It only requires 2 shelf-stable ingredients, so it’s perfect for camping.
In order to make great Foil Packet Chocolate Cherry Cake over a fire, you’ll want to let your campfire burn down to coals. Coals are better for cooking on, as they tend to have more of a consistent temperature than flames. With flames, you can burn part of the packet while under-cooking another part, so flames aren’t any good for baking in.
Once your coals are nice and hot, you can place these foil packet desserts in them. You’ll want to fold the foil tight at the edges, so that you can use tongs to turn the dessert a couple of times without losing your dessert in the flames.
If you don’t have a campfire (we often have burn bans in the high heat of summer), you can easily make this recipe on a grill instead. Just preheat the grill to about 350º, and cook the packets for about 20 minutes.
For either method, you’ll want to turn the packets several times, and keep an eye on the contents. Because campfire temperature can vary (and my altitude might differ from yours), your Foil Packet Chocolate Cherry Cake may cook faster or slower than mine did. That’s one of the fun parts of cooking over a fire, and it gives me great respect for the women up until pretty recently who had to cook all of their food (including finicky bread!) over a fire!
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1 box chocolate cake mix or brownie mix
- Aluminum foil
- Cooking spray (optional)
- Let campfire die down to good red coals. Alternately, you can preheat a grill or oven to 350º.
- Cut foil into 16 squares, approximately 1 foot square. Spray 1/2 of the squares with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and pie filling.
- Scoop approximately 1/2 a cup of the mixture onto the center of each sprayed aluminum foil square.
- Top with another square of aluminum foil and crimp the edges of the two pieces together well, so that they are well sealed.
- Place foil packets in coals, or on the grill or in oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning several times with tongs. Check to see if the cake is done. Cook times will vary vastly, due to the differences in each campfire.
- Once finished, top with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 117 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 51mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 1g
Don’t forget to pin!