I love to cook according what is in season. Currently mangos are in season. And one of my favorite things to make with mangos is mango salsa. I got this recipe when I lived in Texas. I went to a “family” gathering and someone had brought it. It was so good I begged for the recipe.
Mango Salsa is a great salsa for people who don’t like tomatoes. There are many versions of mango salsa, but this one replaces the tomatoes in regular salsa with mangos. I love the chunkiness from the mangos and the creaminess from the avocados. The fresh light flavor of the mangos makes for a refreshing snack.
Mangos can be a challenge to cut. The pit is flat and almost the length of the mango. I haven’t found a great way to cut it. I just cut off what I can. Since I don’t need large slices, I don’t worry about it too much. Just be careful to not cut yourself. They get really slippery once peeled.
- 4 mangos peeled and sliced
- 2 avocados diced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 1 Tbsp cilantro minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger root grated
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir as little as possible. Chill in refrigerator for about an hour to left the flavors to come together. Serve with tortilla chips.
Make sure your mangos & avocado are ripe but not too soft.
Don’t forget to pin!