Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole is a great way to use up leftover ham! Made from scratch with no MSG or creamed soup. Just real ingredients.
I have seen a lot of recipes for some delicious looking potato and ham casseroles, but inevitably, they all use a can of cream of chicken (or some other creamed soup).
I try to avoid creamed soups in a can, since I don’t think they’re healthy. Additionally, my mom is allergic to MSG (mono sodium glutamate), which is found in all creamed soups except the Healthy Choice (and that one tastes terrible!).
So, I made up my own recipe for this yummy, comfort food! I can’t claim that this cheesy casserole is healthy– but everything is from scratch, and there is nothing processed in it. (Plus, when is comfort food healthy?)
Packed full of potatoes and ham, covered in a cheese sauce, this recipe is a huge hit with my kids! I’ve also used the recipe when I needed to take a meal to someone.
Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole pairs well with green beans or very green spinach salad.
- 6-10 medium potatoes, **, chopped
- 1/2 lb cooked ham,, chopped
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion,, chopped
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the chopped potatoes and ham in a 13x9" casserole dish.
- Melt butter and saute onion for about 3 minutes.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper. Cook and stir constantly until it's bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the milk. Return to heat and heat until boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute and then remove from heat.
- Stir in the cheese until it's melted.
- Pour over the ham and potatoes, stirring a little to make sure the sauce is over all of the ham and potatoes.
- Bake for an hour and 15 minutes.
** Number of potatoes will depend on their size. Just start chopping and throw them in the 9x13 pan until the pan is about 3/4 full.
Looking for more comfort food like this Cheesy Potato and Ham Casserole?
We’ve got you covered!
Don’t forget to pin!