For as long as I can remember, my mom has made frog eye salad for different social events, barbeques, and picnics. I finally decided to try it myself, since I’ve never made it, and of course I needed to make something to share for the 4th of July picnic we attended yesterday.
The first time my husband came to a get-together that my mom made frog eye salad, I remember him looking at it with trepidation.
“What is it?” he asked. And when I told him it was called frog eye salad, he was completely grossed out. It makes me laugh remembering his face.
I insisted that he give it a try, and swore that no frogs were involved in the actual salad. Once he tried it, he went back for seconds!
So here’s the recipe my mom gave me for frog eye salad, that has gotten decades of compliments!
- 1 3/4 C Pineapple Juice, (use the drained juice from the cans of pineapple)
- 1 C Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 16 oz Acini de Pepe noodles
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 8 oz Cool Whip or whipped cream
- 3 cans Pineapple, (20 oz. each)
- 2 cans Mandarin Oranges, (15 oz. each)
- 1 C Coconut
- 2 C Marshmallows
- In a saucepan, whisk together pineapple juice, sugar, eggs, flour, and salt. Stir while cooking over medium heat until mixture thickens. Add lemon juice, and set aside to cool (you can cool it in the fridge, or if you're in a hurry put it in the sink in an ice bath).
- Cook noodles with salt according to package directions (mine were 11 minutes). In a colander, rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Transfer noodles to a large bowl and pour the cooled sauce over the noodles. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well (if you want the mandarin oranges to stay intact better, gently stir them in after you've mixed everything else). Refrigerate. You can make this a day ahead of time to save time, or make it the day of.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:16 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 325mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 4g
The nutritional information provided here is not guaranteed to be accurate and is provided for informational (and google) purposes only.
Don’t forget to pin!