Homemade Croutons are so delicious you wouldn’t know they are as easy to make as they are. You can make them whatever seasoning you like to make them your own.
Around our house, homemade croutons are like warm buttery crunchy gold. When I make them the Hardworking Husband will say, “You love me today.” They are so good. But the problem with them is they are best on the day made. So I would have to make them every day. And really that shouldn’t be a problem except that I’m lazy.
Homemade croutons are another recipe I got while working at the guest ranch in Colorado. We would make them at least once a week, and we made sure that we made more than enough because the ranch staff would munch on them before dinner. They are just sooooo good and really easy to make.
These croutons are not like store bought croutons. They are crunchy but not super hard. They will add more texture to your salad without adding the store bought rock hard croutons, and they have a wonderful buttery flavor.
I have used garlic powder, season salt & dried parsley, but you are welcome to use your favorite seasonings. You can make them your own by changing up the seasonings. I recommend having some salt in your seasoning mix. There’s so many options. Zesty Italian, Ranch, Parmesan Garlic, Sriracha, Lemon Pepper, BBQ, and the list could go on and on. The imagination is your limit.
- 1 loaf of bread (you can use whatever kind of bread, even cheap bread from the store)
- 3 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp season salt
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Stack the bread up and cut the crust off. Then slice into cubes and place in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with parsley, season salt, and garlic powder. Pour melted butter over bread and toss to coat.
- Spread bread out on a baking sheet so it is one layer. You may need to bake more than 1 pan. But only bake one pan at a time. Bake for about 15 minutes or until croutons are a light golden brown. They will be crunchy but not hard.
- Serve with salad, soup, or just eat them as a snack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for salads to put these croutons on? We’ve got you covered.
Don’t forget to pin!