Watermelon, Blueberry and Basil Salad is a light and fresh salad that is perfect for summer. The sweetness of the watermelon and blueberries pairs perfectly with basil and the balsamic vinaigrette.
We have started the summer off right. With lots of BBQ’s. Northern BBQ’s. I have lived in several states and the term BBQ means different things in different places. In the North, BBQ means a get together where we grill burgers and dogs. Often it’s potluck style. Unlike Texas BBQ, that requires smoking and BBQ sauce or dry rub.
I wanted to take dishes that were different than my normal. I can get in a rut and I wanted to mix it up. I have been using a website that helps me know what flavors pair together well. I kept seeing that blueberries and basil went well together. Everyone thought I was crazy for wanting to make something with blueberries and basil. But here was my chance. Watermelon and feta also pair well with blueberries and basil. So this Watermelon, Blueberry & Basil Salad was born. And it was a hit despite the nay sayers about blueberries and basil.
- 8 cups watermelon, cubed or balled
- 2 cups blueberries, washed and checked for stems
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, mince
- 4 oz feta crumbles
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Combine watermelon, blueberries, mint, basil, and feta in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. I used my immersion blender to mix.
- Pour dressing over fruit & herb mixture.
Don’t forget to pin!