Peas, Cheese & Pickles is a great side salad that changes things up from a green salad. Great variety of flavors and textures.
As a kid my mom made Peas Cheese and Pickles. I thought this was a family recipe and that no one besides our family had ever made it. I had never seen it in a restaurant. I had never had it at a friends house. It was just something we only had at home. Then I moved to Texas. Pea salad was something available at all the BBQ restaurants. It was a little different than mom’s, but was very close. Who knew that other people ate pea salad too.
After marrying The Hardworking Husband, I made him Peas, Cheese and Pickles. He asked me to change it up just a little. Mom had always made it with canned peas. The HH doesn’t like the texture of canned peas. So I started making it with frozen peas. We love it with the frozen peas.
- 2 - 12 oz bags frozen peas thawed
- 1 cup cheese cut into small 1/4" cubes
- 1 cup chopped sweet pickles
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 Tbsp sweet pickle juice
- Combine peas, cheese and sweet pickles in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, mix together pickle juice and mayo. Once blended pour over the pea mixture. Enjoy right away or chill for an hour.
This can also be made with 2 can of peas. I used muenster cheese, but you can use your favorite cheese. Mom used cheddar.
Don’t forget to pin!